Workplace Violence Training for Healthcare Employees
As a healthcare professional workplace violence is an issue that needs to be addressed. Did you know that our doctors, nurses, administrative staff and others are potential victims? Whether in a hospital, nursing home, doctor’s office, or clinic, healthcare workers unfortunately face combative patients from all too often. This workplace violence training for healthcare workers DVD will help your associates deal with such things as abusive patients, being threatened, being hit or struck by a patient, and much more.
Since almost 75% of all workplace violence assaults occur in a healthcare setting, getting your employees trained is critical. That’s where this instructional DVD comes in. It helps educate staff members on how to deal with confrontational and potential violent patients, their families, and intruders from outside of the facility.
As you know, patients or their families can become angry for a variety of reasons. These might include:
- Patients, their family or friends becoming angry about waiting for treatment
- Questions about insurance and frustrations with the “system”
- Patients who may be intoxicated
- Having to pay for medical treatment
- Patients who are being treated that are brought in under arrest
- Gang members or other potential criminals who require medical care
- Patients who have mental instability
- The list goes on…
Teaching your staff how to deal with patients who might become angry or violent is critical. Our program is built around the
OSHA Guideline for Workplace Violence in Healthcare Facilities and includes 5 important parts:
- Management leadership and employee involvement as everyone in the facility needs to work together to ensure a successful program
- Hazard identification and assessment as identifying the potential situations where violence might occur is the first step in finding solutions that address these problems
- Hazard prevention and control is the implementing the steps to control or eliminate the potential violence hazards that you have identified
- Education and training of all employees within the facility on the protocols for what to do in case of a workplace violence situation in the healthcare setting
- Recordkeeping and program evaluation is the final step and the program should be monitored on an ongoing basis to determine its effectiveness.
This training program teaches your healthcare staff how to de-escalate tense situations with patients. It also teaches the things you should look for when identifying a potential problem patient so that workplace violence can be avoided.
This training video is just over 15 minutes in length and should be used as a key part of any training program for your healthcare team. It is available in both an English and Spanish version. In addition to the DVD option, we also offer this video on a USB Stick, or as part of our online safety training program.
All of our training videos include the following additional resources:
1) A Leader’s Guide
The person giving the training can use the Guide to help facilitate the training and provide additional verbal support to the video. It also includes a sample outline for the training session along with the highlights of the course.
2) An Employee Quiz
Important to be able to test your trainees to make sure they understand and comprehend the training course they just watched. This is also good for employer documentation for safety training of employees.
3) Answer Key to the Quiz
Ensures the questions are being answered correctly.
4) An Attendance Sheet
Allows you to keep track of who was trained, when the training occurred, who was the instructor, etc. Excellent documentation to prove your training requirements are in order.
5) A Printable “Certificate of Completion”
Allows you to give one to each employee who attends the safety training session. Can also be kept in an employee file for training documentation.
Purchases made before 7:00 pm EST will be shipped out the same business day!
You will receive a tracking number for your package via email within a few hours of placing your order.
Shipping is a flat $12.00.